Description: Simple past in English. In this section we analyze the use and formation of the past simple in English. In addition, we analyze the conjugation of verbs in the past simple. At the end of the section you can access the exercises online.
1. We use the past simple to tell about an action which finished in the past.
For example: I ate spaghetti yesterday.
- Afirmative: subject + verb ending in -ed (Regular verbs)/// Past form (Irregular verbs) + complements
- Negative: subject + didn't + infinitive (without -to) + complements
- Question: Did + sujeto + infinitive (without -to) + complements?
TEMPORAL EXPRESSIONS / ADVERBS (Tempotal expressions and adverbs help to identify the verbal tense when we are doing a verbal tense exercise. In addition, they are crucial when we write or speak because they denote the verbal tense we are referring to).
- Last day/month/week/year
- A specific date in the past (In 1979)