Description: Past continuous in English. In this section, we analyze the use and formation of the past simple in English. You can access online exercises related to the past simple. These exercises contain self-evaluation.
1. An action which was in progress at a particular time in the past.
Example: I was studying English yesterday afternoon.
2. An action in the past that is interrumpted by another action.
Example: I was watching TV when he knocked the door.
- Affirmative: subject + was/were + verb -ing + complements
- Negative: subject + wasn't/weren't + verb -ing + complements
- Question: was/were + subject + verb -ing + complements?
- A specific moment in the past. For example: I was playing football yesterday afternoon.
- When /While
Download past continuous exercises on PDF zone